Thursday, December 13, 2007

Silencing The Choo Choo Train

It used to be quite deafening as it roared through our backyard many years ago. As I was putting Londyn down for a nap, letting her soothe herself as I held her bottle, she fell sound asleep. It was then, I began to hear a sound that would bring back almost a decade of memories. Back in 1998, Craig moved into a very old, rent house. Soon after he moved in, he realized he had signed his life away by committing to a one year lease (that turned into three years). This is when the sound of the pipes began. The choo choo train would make it's travels through the back yard close to 4-5 times a night with the most atrocious, deafening roar of a train. Shortly after we married, I soon discovered my sleep would be toilsome. However, I did get used to the train after a while. It would still wake me up each time it passed, but I was soon able to fall back to sleep for the entire 3 years we rented this house. (The neighbor's baby was not bothered by the deafening sound because he heard it while in the womb). Our next move, to the 1st house we had ever built, rendered the same sound of the passing train but much more at a distance. Nevertheless, although it was not quite as deafening, we were very much aware of its presence as it passed. Now that we have relocated back to NB and have just settled into the 2nd and last home we have just built, the train still passes. Now it is such a sweet, peaceful chug of a choo choo train. I guess this is where we belong....as long as we can still hear the train in the distance. It has not been silenced. Peacefully sleeping now.

No comments: