Thursday, May 22, 2008

Yesterday

was a bitter sweet day. It was my mom's birthday! She was showered with gifts as she revealed them from room to room when she arrived home after a long and exhausting day at work (she's a teacher and it was field day (SO HOT). There were gifts & b-day greetings everywhere she looked; in the fridge (when she went to get a drink), bathroom (when she went to freshen up), laundry room (when she went to throw in a load), TV armoire (when she went to sit and relax), and virtually everywhere else in her house. We wanted to make her day soooooo special to help drown the hurt. I can still hear the phone ringing 22 years ago in the wee hours of the morning with the dreadful news that her mom had gone to be with the FATHER after a long battle with cancer.......on my mom's birthday. Although this happened many, many years ago it might as well of been yesterday. Most of the birthdays in our family, for some reason, are bitter sweet days. My mother's father, my grandfather, passed away on my birthday and the list goes on and on. My moms eldest brother will be going home when the Lord calls him, but when? I'm just thankful it didn't happen yesterday. I pray that she will find peace in her soul knowing that her mom & dad would be saddened to know she hurts so. They, on the otherhand, are with their Lord & Savior where there is no hurt and no pain. My heart feels joy to know that her brother will one day join them in a place so majestic and so glorious. A place we can't even imagine. Thank you FATHER!

2 comments:

Harmony said...

very well put...
you hit it right on the head!!!

Yesterday was more sweet then bitter because all the love that was shown yesterday was AMAZING!!

harmony

Precious Blessings said...

You made me tear up! I am so glad you were able to make your moms day all the sweeter for her. I'm sure that is what she will remember after a long HOT day at school!