Monday, April 7, 2008

This Made Me Sick

I dropped Chief off at the vet this morning before 8 a.m. While we were registering him for his surgery the girl at the counter went over some paper work with me. She wanted to know, if we wanted to pay an additional $60 for "blood work" before the surgery. She also wanted to know if we wanted his nails trimmed, additional pain medication for pain management and if we wanted to have him implanted with a chip. Each service cost an additional amount, of course. Anyways, I said yes to everything except the implant. I'm still wondering how much the actual surgery is going to cost? I didn't want to ask after being hit with all of the EXTRAS. So, I'll wait until we pick him up to feel sick at my stomach again. Anyways, I asked the lady how invasive the surgery was going to be since I have never experienced getting a male dog fixed. I have always had female dogs growing up and can remember how hard it was for them to recover after surgery. I was hoping she was going to say, "Oh, we make a tiny incision and snip, that's it!" I wished I had never asked........ She explained that he will have an incision (smaller than a females), then we pull them out and cut them off." At that moment, I began to fell sick to my stomach and felt uneasy about what our dog was about to undergo. I kept my calm and left the veterinary office telling myself it's for the best and it can't be as bad as what a female dog undergoes. I was also thinking about taking care of him for the next 2-3 days in our travel trailer with the girls. Yes, we are still in the travel trailer........another week. Sheesh

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is not that bad.....Jet was fixed last week and he was playing that night, NEVER acted like he was in pain and his incision was barely even visible and looked completely healed by the 3rd day. We had all the extras including the microchip becuase they told me it can be pretty painful as they insert it with a HUGE needle so I just had it done while he was all ready asleep for the surgery. RELAX....he will be fine :o)

ENAACT Yearbook Class said...

I'm glad our dog was pre-fixed. You can do it girl. I have faith in your resolve and I'm sure he will heal in no time!

Harmony said...

I remember feeling the same way you are when Fluffy went under to get fixed and then a second time to get her nails taken out...

but in all she did good...
just give her a lot of love!!!

harmony