Monday, April 21, 2008

Because Of One Man's Special Day.......

All Of THIS HAPPENED! 

I ran around Thursday afternoon, after I picked Alexis up from school, hunting down the perfect pair of shoes.  I was attending a funeral on Friday and I didn't have a pair of shoes to go with my outfit.  I found a pair of slides that are so adorably cute.  They look like Brighton!  So, I bought two pairs, one in black the other in brown.  Bright and early the next morning the girls and I headed out to attend the funeral located on the south side of S.A.  We were attending the funeral of Jerry Stroud.  He was an amazing man who lived less than a mile away from our house and his wife was the "community babysitter".  We entered the South Side Funeral Home which appeared to be a very "old place" with many stories to tell.  It was about to tell another.  It was the perfect setting for what was about to transpire.   As we (my mom & my sisters) were greeting Jerry's family and giving our condolences, we then began to scan the room for  a place to sit.  As we made our way back up the isle to the back of the funeral home all the while scanning the sea of people, I began to see old familiar faces from my childhood.  I saw Justin Espey and his parents.  Justin was my 1st love, (in Kindergarten) he had the most beautiful blonde hair as a child.  We later realized when we got the chance to talk after the service how small this world really is.  Loren Gillespie (Justin Espey's best friend still to this day) who lived a mile down the street (also Kindergarten) and who's grandmother I remembered in THIS POST.  Jennifer Geese, whom I babysat as a little girl and now lives about three miles away from me in New Braunfels (we are planning on getting together).  Laney is Jennifer's younger sister whom I also babysat when she was a baby.  I noticed that Laney's 7 month old was wearing a cranial helmet.  As we conversed about Londyn having the same treatment we began to talk about Amy.  Amy is the PT technician at Cranial Tech in Austin.  We talked about how wonderful she is and how upon meeting this amazing girl, you instantly feel like she is your BEST FRIEND.  Amy and I are planning to get together for lunch in Austin and definitely staying in touch.  My girls and I LOOOOOOVE Amy & Michelle (Amy's assistant).  Bill Schlomchinski, he is my best friend, Shanna Divin's uncle.  His eyes laid upon my mom, sisters and I and he instantly recognized us giving us a nod of his head.  Mind you, we have not seen this man in 16 years.  Bonny, the mother of four boys.  We (my sisters brother and I) were always at her house, or they were at ours)  It's a small world when, Shannon one of my college friends married Bonny's oldest son Steve.   We saw many others who appeared  a bit aged  but it seemed as though time had not passed.  Time had only stood STILL.  It's sad what time does when you think back on the memories from your childhood  of a community of people who were so close nit.  After conversing and catching up with everyone we parted and headed to Luby's to eat lunch.  As my mom was making her way in a girl turned and asked her is she was Mrs. Cooper.  Janet Gonzales was her name.  She and her sisters lived a few miles away from us too, growing up.  My best memories of these girls were of Girl Scouts and being in elementary school.  Janet said they had just recently looked at old pics and came across one of my mom dressed up as a witch for Halloween (Fall Harvest...now) and they were wondering what had ever happened to Mrs. Cooper.  Now they know!  As we were all eating Justin Espey approached me again and informed me that he and his wife were planning on adopting a child from Russia since they had a hard and difficult time sustaining the pregnancy of their 1st daughter.  I mentioned to him that he should talk to my friend, Becca since she too has adopted from Russia.  He said her name seemed very familiar.  He called his wife and she strongly believed that they had indeed already talked to Becca.  Justin's wife is so stressed out about this whole adoption process, so I'm going to call Becca to make sure they connect; if they haven't already.   Next we were off for a day of shopping at The Shops At La Cantera. I was specifically wanting to try the make-up that my new friend, Mrs. Candy wears from Este Lauder.  Mrs. Candy likes the color of my hair and I like her makeup.  I think that a good connection, right?  Anyways finally we ended up at Gymboree where Alexis got to spend her Gymboree Bucks.  She got a lot of really cute bottoms to match all the tops we bought her a month before.  Our last stop was Marble Slab for the infamous cotton candy milkshake.  Thanks to Jerry for the wonderful day we had  in his memory.  Many more memories to come with all of this reconnecting going on......... 

No comments: